10 Amazing Facts About Our Eyes
Our eyes truly are amazing things but they are, perhaps, even more amazing than you actually realise. There are so many things our eyes do each day that you’re probably not even aware of and its not until we quantify and examine these facts that we can see just what a blessing eye-sight is and how intricate and incredible our eyes are. Let’s take a look at ten lesser known facts about our eyes below:
- The average adult eye has an incredible 100 million cells which are sensitive to light
- Though you may not realise it, the eye is actually capable of differentiating between 10 million different colours
- The lens part of your eye will carrying on growing throughout your entire life
- It is physically impossible to sneeze with your eyes fully open – no matter how hard you try!
- The colour of your eyes is determined by the amount of melanin that you have within your iris
- The first ever person to have blue eyes existed between 6,000-10,000 years ago. Before this person, everyone would of had brown eyes
- You find yourself more tired when reading because you will blink less frequently when you are reading a book
- People will blink more frequently when they are talking
- Around 80% of the world’s eye problems are avoidable and, in many cases, curable
- Doctors are yet to find a way to successfully facilitate an eye transplant. The reason for this is that the optic nerve that attaches the eye to the brain is too delicate and sensitive to reconstruct effectively
So, as you can see, our eyes truly are amazing things and there is so much to them that we don’t even realise. It is important to take good care of your eyes and have them checked regularly to ensure they are not detoriating or whether they require treatment of some sort.
You can book an eye examination from Barnard Levit if you want to check your eye health.